Thursday, September 27, 2007

Autumn Glory



Missed it by four days...the first day of autumn was SUNDAY? And nobody told me?
When the summer has been the hottest in North Carolina history, numerous days over 100 degrees and very little rain (almost none), how could I miss September 23? Coming to the end of summer, the end of hurricane season and soon the end of the drought (it can't last forever) is reason enough to celebrate. Wednesday morning I did enjoy a morning walk-about on UNC's campus, glorious in the early light. The photo? Not UNC...sunrise is off the coast of Juneau, Alaska last summer. About 4:30 a.m. local time, one of the few times the sun appeared during the week.


Today is an auspicious occasion. The ivy-summer-greenery-blah wreath at the front entrance gets changed to the flourish of autumn splendor with the wreath of bounty. I would like to say the bouquet photo will accompany the wreath - I would like to but this bouquet was last seen in 2003. So much for my lost home-making-skills, the aim in retirement is to cut out the tedious, redundant and time-consuming and focus on what you really enjoy. That search is still in progress.

My sister, Jan, is due for lunch this afternoon. She did a fabulous lunch last week so it is my turn to return the favor. Shrimp with something, but exactly what is the question. Will have the hanging of the autumn wreath while she can help me. Then we can officially begin Christmas shopping (?).

Yesterday at OLLI Ballroom we danced to single-time and triple-time swing. The best music I have found for single-time (aka Lindy) is the third act of Contact, music from the Broadway show by Susan Stroman (winner of the 2000 Tony Award for Best Musical). The down-beat is consistent, the tempo is perfect and we were swingin' to 'runaround Sue, Put a Lid on It and Do You Wanna Dance?
The best! OK it's nostalgia all over again, once is while you have to get a little crazy. What can I say, my alter ego wants to be the 'Girl in the Yellow Dress.'

Red cloth for edging the holiday tablecloth is now in the washer with FOUR sheets of Color-Catcher and all the pink socks from the last wash load. Cross your fingers.
bb

No comments: