Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Jacket again



SO, how do you like the double-front?
Real snazzy! And this is just the beginning, wait and see what comes up for the sleeves and back. I have no idea, haven't even begun to think about it.



The rest of the story: my favorite vintage fashion-pattern.

This Vogue pattern dates to c.1966 when I made a lightweight, summer suit in black to wear for job interviews. I hate to admit the year in which my career began but there it is. Over the years I have made about six or more jackets, and suits, from the same pattern. One of which I was quite proud, was a beige-sienna-ochre plaid wool jacket trimmed with tobacco-colored Ultra Suede [remember when Ultra Suede was NEW!]. The skirt was also Ultra Suede and not all that comfortable - the synthetic got very warm after a few hours.

I also made a Spring jacket in a light, woven wool in a divine coral color with a silk lining. I looked like a fat shrimp in that jacket and finally gave it to someone much smaller. My Mother.

Yes, I could buy an new pattern and forget all the trouble of re-sizing and adjusting the proportion to fit me - BUT why give up on a good thing now?
Besides, I'll never find one I like as well as this.

The question to ponder: is this carrying re-cycling too far? Perhaps I could just buy a jacket. But where would I get an original, with expressive colors and promote my sewing skills at the same time. An ego trip? I like to think my ego is just along for the ride. I best reserve final judgement until this one is finished and see how it fits(?).

No comments: