Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day Monday '07

The Labor Day dinner with Jan & Rich was delightful. We drank Italian sodas, enjoyed healthy vegetable salads (2), indulged in BBQ brisket and sausage and over-indulged in Jan's berry trifle. All the while laughing over family stories!

In setting up for last night's dinner I was searching through the bar cabinets and found a goblet - a trophy goblet. In 2003 I performed in a Showcase at the Fred Astaire studio in Durham and for the effort each dancer received a hand-painted, large wine goblet. The decorated vessel was the work of Lisa Yu (wife of our then teacher, Sunny). I don't think I had seen the glass since and I found it perfect for iced soda. Somehow drinking out it not only reminded me of that time but also of how much change has occurred in the studio. When Sunny gave up teaching we found Missy for a teacher and now that Missy has moved to the Caribbean, our lessons are fewer and far between. What's next? one can only guess.

My concerns this morning are over the OLLI dance classes, specifically the Level One Ballroom. I must reach a minimum number of paid dancers to cover the cost of the room and instructor and for the proposed Lady's Dancercize - I'm close to reaching that number. BUT the ballroom Level One has only three paid couples and I need THREE more. Tori Holt, instructor, will be sorry and have nothing to do for an hour if no one wants to dance.

And EF is no help. He is still miffed from dancing from last Thursday night and threatens to never dance again. He's into saxophone and tells me "dancing is your thing, go do it without me!" He will be practiced once more after a week of ballroom dancing in January (on the Western Caribbean cruise), and as soon as he's back into dance mode, the cruise will end.

It is early - it's Monday! If I had an early appointment I'd be scrambling to get together. But since we had an early night, I slept well and I've been awake since 4:30 am. Already have the dishwasher emptied and breakfast made. I could start some laundry but that seems a bit extreme for this hour. The 'Clutter Purge' continues but if I started sorting books now that would wake EF.

Friend Muriel has returned to NC. She was called away because of a death in the family, grieving over the loss of her sister. But she's back in Durham and promises to attend the aquacise ladies coffee on Tuesday. I plan to be there to help give comfort and support.

UNC played George Mason Saturday - the fall season is underway with win #1. That means that for upcoming Saturdays all parking spaces will fill and the restaurants will be crowded with football fans. The price of living in a university town!

No yoga today because of the holiday (bummer), but I'm heading to the gym before long. Need to work off that berry trifle and get ready for my Friday appointment with Bobbi, my nutritionist. Between keeping fit and losing weight - it's a full time job. Due to my purging of clutter in the house I found among other things a Weight Watcher enrollment card from 2001. The depressing thing is that I weighed three pounds less then, than I do now after trying hard for months (?). And to make matters worse, a pattern guide with my measurements from the same time, show that I was also smaller. Where did I go wrong? The motivation to sew fancy garments fades with the realization that I can't stabilize my weight.

Might do some shopping today - one of the items I seek: a Spanx. Oprah can't do without one, maybe I should try it!

Off to meet the week....bb

No comments: