Friday, September 14, 2007

Real Rain

As I write the drizzle is just ending - we had rain. Not just a droplet or two, but real rain. Weeks have gone by, the earth is hard and green leaves are falling without turning to autumn colors, that's how dry it has been. We still need more, the reservoirs are low and the plants will need weeks of rain to recover but at least the plants are getting revived tonight. Some storms east of Raleigh area but Orange County is finally getting moisture and cooler temperatures.

Boy, did I sleep last night! Something about testing martinis that will help you relax. EF came home from investment club after 9:00pm and I barely remember him coming to bed. At 6:30am I was up and about, stripping the sheets and getting ready for Molly Maids to arrive at 7:30. Headed to the gym while the day was still cool and walked 30 minutes BEFORE doing the weight workout.

Spoke with a blond, Nordic gal in the locker room after the workout. Learned that she is Dutch, lives nearby, has three teen-age sons and a body that could pin down Sylvester Stallone anytime. We talked about Holland, the post-war years and the years since emigrating she has lived in Canada, California and now North Carolina. Reminded me it has been twenty-seven 27 years since I worked in Maastricht developing a color system for Tenneco-Europe. 1980 - 2007, can it be that long ago? I am getting old!

Back to work on the scrappy-pieced jacket. Not the jacket parts per se but spent most of the afternoon strip-piece sewing for 'Seminole' patches (45 degree angles) that will most likely work in the lower sleeves, or perhaps the under-sleeve to turn back into a cuff. The back-composition is still in question. Strips, diagonals, nine-patch, blocks - I have all of the above in some form stored in more boxes than I need. Frustrating isn't it: looking in box after box and not finding what you really need? Got to get organized. Much of those scrappy patches will be used, but where is the challenge.

Since 9/13-14 is the Rosh Hashanah weekend EF went shopping at Whole Foods to get Matzoh Ball Soup, vegetarian chopped-chicken liver(?), tzimmes, noodle-kugel & gelfilte fish for Friday night dinner. Atop a green salad the gelfilte fish with pickled beets, pickles and hard-boiled eggs was a delicious dinner. No matzoh boards: I learned that one board has carbs equal to two slices of bread, one ball is enough - don't need extra starch.

This was my LAST week of the summer hiatus: Tuesday the noon class at Fred Astaire begins and for the next EIGHT weeks I am a class coordinator, a work-out lady, a half-hour walker and a shopper. After November 16, I can return to my usual leisurely life. Not!

Tomorrow EF switches my 'server' to Bell South. This could mean trouble.
press on regardless, bb

No comments: