Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Tuesday: mat-Pilates workout

Yesterday was Pilates. Or rather Pilates for Beginners, my first class and a big step. Some years ago I purchased a video-tape and never got the hang of the breathing technique. Now, thanks to five years of yoga and trying to improve ‘controlled breath’ during workouts, I felt ready. What an hour. More like yoga than I expected, this was 'mat-pilates' as the gym does not have the full Pilates-equipment for the 4-star workout. No matter, this was enough.

Pilates was a trainer in the ‘50's ±, who believed that Core Strength was the most important aspect of physical fitness. Core - meaning torso, under the arms to below the hips - the central trunk of the body. IF the core muscles were tight, controlled with the breath, supported the spine and toned to perfection [his words, not mine], then fitness followed. I’m still working on the tightening the stomach and back muscles. A lot of sitting up and lying back down, slowly...back and forth. I did better than expected but I’m not a devotee yet. I’ll stick to yoga and my weight workouts, trying Pilates on occasion. Besides in two weeks, Tuesdays will start OLLI’s DancerCIZE workouts and I cannot do both. That one will keep me breathing!

The OLLI/Swing Band will play for the Sunday Convocation & 30th Anniversary of OLLI, so Tuesday was rehearsal day for EF. Dinner will be chicken-apricot-pecan salad with a light mayo dressing. Something changed over the trip to Alaska. EF has never much liked my chicken salad but last night he actually asked for it.

On board the M.S. Oosterdam [HA], the lunch buffet offered a variety of delicious salads each day. I noticed and quickly became fond of the chicken salad with figs (?). Upon our return home, I practiced making a basic chicken salad (celery, chopped dried figs and mayo). The next time I had cold chicken on hand, the figs were gone; so I used chopped dried apricots instead. And another time, chopped pecans were added. And still EF seemed to like the variations. But to have him request it was a major turnabout. Yes, I make it with a mayo dressing [adding among other things a basic oil-vinegar dressing, some apricot jam, wine vinegar and mustard]. When it is pale yellow, a little thicker than cream and has a tangy kick; that’s it!
Now I will just make a bed of greens, add some cucumber and red onion, pile the chicken salad on top and slice some navel oranges for garnish. That’s dinner!
Remind me to get figs and Hellman’s mayonnaise.

Breakfast oatmeal is cooling and I must get moving; this afternoon my Personal Trainer will evaluate me and I do not want to flunk my OWN evaluation!
ciao, bb

No comments: