Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cool September Morning





Out the door at 7:15 and back an hour later after walking about the UNC Campus. The morning air was COOL, my first early morning walk since last spring. When the temperature hits 88 at dawn you know it is going to be a hot day. NC taxpayers will be glad to know their tax dollars have been spent - all over the campus. New walkways, new landscaping, street paving and mega construction continues. I try to make it under the Bell tower in time to hear the carillon ring. Just getting out is a major accomplishment and I hope to be out walking 2-3 times a week. My personal trainer says "get more cardio each day." I'm getting it.

The photo is from Hanks Chapel Greenhouses in Pittsboro. Taken with my former digital camera [before an upgrade to a more advanced model]. Four of my orchids are boarded at Hanks Chapel for a modest monthly fee. When they bloom I get a message to pick up and we enjoy the blossoms for weeks to come. Since I am garden-challenged, the orchid greenhouse is the best bet going.

Monday night was the Durham Orange Quilter's Guild [DOQ], the program presented by quilter and fiber artist, Ellen Guerrant. Ellen's presentation was about the Log Cabin quilt block and its various incantations and modern interpretations. Entitled "My Grandmother Made One of Those," she enthralled us with both quilts and slides of quilts that she has made, found in flea markets and yard sales and some have just come to her. Ellen is a naturally funny lady, disbelieving that there can be non-quilters in the world you do not understand the notion of cutting fabric into pieces and then sewing the pieces back together again. We get it!

Even better, Ellen shares her blog: http://ellenguerrant.blogspot.com. Seeing Ellen's blog gives me new inspiration; more quilts, fabrics, collectibles and family history. Why didn't I think of that? Well, I'm new at the game and just getting my input organized.

Rose was also at DOQ and we made a date for Thursday to drive west to visit my sister, Jan, in Elon, NC. The reason for this visit? Jan has outdone herself. Shopping for furniture and drapery fabrics, she and husband Rich have been attending auctions. Last weekend she hit a fabric clearance and ending up buying three RACKS of fabrics [nearly thirty bolts of fabric]. All to get the five or six fabrics she really wanted and the rest to sell, share, donate or otherwise find each bolt a good home. Any mention of fabric is enough to get me there. I remember finding a chintz print that I thought would make nice cushions and curtains for her back porch [this find for a mere $6]. I think Jan has outdone me this time. I swear, between my sister and I trying to downsize and prioritize the amount of goods we absolutely NEED, versus those things we can't refuse - a mountain of 'stuff' ends up in our garages.

So Thursday is the day I take a paint color fan-deck, my manual on e-Bay selling, the digital camera, and Rose, to investigate. See pictures here at a later date. Even if I do not find fabric I want, the trip home takes us to Sheetz. This is the closest gasoline/convenience Sheetz to Chapel Hill and because they recycle the water you can still get a carwash in the midst of a drought. And my car really NEEDS a carwash!

Got towel and bottle of water in hand. Off to the dance studio for Day 1 of dancerCIZE; created for ladies without dance partners who want a rhythmic-cardio workout. My second for the day. Plus I have to think of something for dinner.
Again.
bb

1 comment:

JennyDillyAnna said...

Your orchids are beautiful! I've never heard of boarding plants at a greenhouse. I've always stayed away from orchids due to my plant killing ways.