Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunday Ballroom

EF is just amazing. The owners (Oksana and Yuri)of the Fred Astaire Studio in Durham, NC hosted a dinner dance tonight from 5 - 8 pm. We had been practicing and reviewing our ballroom lessons for three days. With much confusion. Before the dance had progressed very far a West Coast Swing was played. EF took over and mastered the lead in a New York minute. The best WC we have EVER danced. Our teacher, Missy, would be proud of us. I cannot help but brag about him, it was a breakthrough.

Tonight the studio was beautifully decorated, the Ole NC BBQ catered a superb dinner, Yuri makes a great DJ and the crowd was hoppin. Most of the usual suspects, but a few new faces. Including Ulilia (sp), Oksana's sister who has been in NC for all of three weeks. She sat at our table to eat and sometime later Ed danced with her. YES, he danced with another dancer; a very rare occasion. Tori, who is the OLLI ballroom teacher, is back from The Czech Republic and full of travel stories.

Yuri and Oksana were in Orlando last week for the US Dance Championships and danced their way to the quarter finals. My feet are aching, I am still cooling down, my smoothie(aka for Spanx) was slipping and my white satin top needs cleaning, again, but it was worth it. Tonight was prelude to the October Silver Harvest dance in Burlington. And then the January cruise.

The strip-sewing for my jacket was lain aside for today - I focused on hemming a pair of grey trousers for fall. I need black workout pants for Tuesday's class and dress-up outfit for Wed and Fri, including Wednesday's afternoon class. The pants getting today's attention were bought last Spring and getting them to fit has been part of my motivation; the waist is now the right dimension. Some efforts are paying off! I have also ordered two jackets from Talbots (online catalog sale), getting some pieces to update the wardrobe for fall. After tonight's dancing I best consider ordering some new shoes too.

Last note; I met Rebeca briefly. She will be taking the dancerCIZE class for Tuesday. Young and pretty the senior ladies from OLLI will give her a workout!
bb

No comments: