Sunday, September 9, 2007

Table conversation...

The annual Gentleman's Wine Dinner at Governor's Club, hosted by Dick Isabel, offers a round table of discussion that one cannot find anywhere else.
An hour of chit-chat while tasting two wines preceded the dinner. A menu offering three more wines is the challenge to Chef Rusty - this club is so dedicated to wine that Isabel picks the wines first, then asks the chef to devise courses to compliment the vintage. And since I do not drink wine, this means EF can drink all he wants and rely on me to drive home.

The menu: (1st Plate) Muscovy Duck Breast served with arugula, radicchio and endive with walnut goat cheese, Fuji apple vinaigrette; an intermission of Mango Mint sorbet; (2nd Plate) Roasted Rack of lamb with fig glaze, braised red chard and polenta; (3rd Plate) Pistachio gelato profiterole w/chocolate sauce.

Our table talk began with the centerpiece; huge, live orchids graced all the tables. The local source for orchids is the Hanks Chapel Greenhouses, just east of Pittsboro. The only place I know about that 'sells' you the orchid first, then takes the orchid back after the blooms drop and 'boards' it in the orchid greenhouse until it blooms again. In effect you get to 'rent' your own orchid. See:www.orchidsbyhankschapel.com/

From orchids to house building, to weddings, and of course "whose children have screwed up the worst!" The great thing is to learn that other people have dysfunctional families just like your own. Two of the couples at our table had tried the ballroom dance class with me last year and were relating how their dance progression has now qualified them for 'handicapped parking.' I can only hope their golfing is better.

We had to leave before dessert (?) because EF has a 'gig' today - playing for and arranging the set-up for the Swing band at OLLI's convocation. As for me; my feet hurt and my legs have ached all night. The cause of my distress: P.T. April. Taking her advice to get more cardio, I have walked over 2.5 hours in the past two days, plus some gym time and Noriko's aquacize class yesterday - before dressing and wearing dance pumps to the dinner. My legs are telling me something - and it's not funny.

Checks continue to arrive in the mail booking students for both the OLLI dancerCIZE and Ballroom Level One classes - but I'm short by ONE for each class to meet the minimum. Classes begin a week from Wednesday and I need to scratch some slow starters and enlist them and their money this week. See: www.learnmore.duke.edu/olli

Sundays change for us every few years. There was a time when Charles Kuralt commanded out attention with CBS's "Sunday Morning." Then we tried the Unitarian route for a few years, now I'm off to the gym. Unless I get to work out, it will only hurt more. Don't even think about what the next phase might be!

keep moving....bb

No comments: