Monday, October 1, 2007

October Overture

About the House:
Morning tea was accompanied today by a back issue of Threads Magazine. This tidbit found on www.notmartha.org, a blog with sewing and craft directions and links. One link to an article appearing in November 2000, Issue 91 on Preventive Sewing-machine Maintenance (pp. 28-30), detailed the need and method to keep one's machine in top running order. Needless to say I have had the Bernina for nearly five years and have given it very little attention. Time to get to oiling, cleaning and changing the needle before I get into another project. The machine is placed on a movable table in my studio and is never covered. The article stressed the need to keep the machine covered at all times when not in use. notmartha.org reemphasized this by offering patterns for making machine covers. Not going to happen here. Yes, I will begin the habit of covering with a cloth or towel but making a cover-to-fit is just not on my agenda.

The overture to The Marriage of Figaro is still in my head. OperaNC and the NC Symphony co-produced Marriage with the symphony in center stage, the singers [in costume] acting around and about making use of movable props, two exit doors on each side and steps to the backstage area. Ingenious and exciting, the opera buffa was a clever exhibition of not using sets. I looked through our cd's after midnight when I could not sleep, found lots of Puccini but little Mozart and no copy of Figaro. How did we miss that? www.operanc.com shows the full schedule.

In the Kitchen:
Marble and ceramic decorate our informal dining table. How this came to happen was mostly accidental. Upon ordering marble counter tops for the master bath, the craftsmen measured the oval to remove for the wash basin. What do they do with marble cut-outs I asked? No reply. Well, it's my marble isn't it? I want it back. To this they responded that for an additional sum I could have the fall-out slab rounded, polished and edges finished. Now a 15" dia. circle of marble adorns our table. Worth every cent. I chose not to make it revolve - the elegance of the marble says it all.

Resting on this green-marble is a ceramic set of iridescent green tomatoes. Better than fried-green tomatoes and far less fattening. They are real prize of my antique hunting. The luster is to die for and the dimensionality of the three is just slightly larger than life. As for function the larger is a sugar bowl, paired by salt and pepper shakers. Nada. Nothing is inside any of them - the color, shape and finish are enough to provide visual food for the eye and the soul. Where did they come from? I found them in an antique mall just north of Kansas City, Missouri. Who made them? Have no idea, the bottoms have no markings. Are they old? Probably, but likely no older than I am. Talk about tomato chic!

Have been watching "The Truth About Food" with Dr. M. Oz, of Oprah fame. Depressing isn't it?
Looking for oil-cloths to clean up the sewing machine. Keep dusting...
bb

No comments: