Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Scissor Solution

One of my favorite sewing aids and inspirations found from a DOQ Workshop teacher is a scrappy, knotted fabric, scissor-lanyard. Search for lost scissors no more!

In September, 2005 Jane Cole, of Asheville, brought her wisdom and enthusiasm to Chapel Hill for a weekend workshop. All DOQ workshops are challenging but it was one of Cole's creative accessories captured my attention.

See picture (1), of Jane pressing patchwork wearing her colorful and scrappy fabric necklace that functions as a scissor chain.




What a terrific idea for keeping your scissors close at hand and still having free hands. And, I can do that!







Within hours I had cut 1.5 inch scraps into 8-9 inch lengths, folded and pressed concealing the raw edges (2), trimmed the ends and knotted into about 6" intervals (3), and you are done!




Two such fabric chains adorn my sewing wall, visible and ready to work whenever I reach for them. Thank you Jane.






Just noticed the next installment of the Elm Creek sagas will be published in April of 2008. Jennifer Chiaverini is making a name for herself in fiction and in quilting arts. The Winding Ways Quilt: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel will arrive in time for Mother's Day or spring birthdays. A quilt pattern book will also be forthcoming at that time: More Elm Creek Quilts: 30+ Traditional Block - 11 Projects - Favorite Character Sketches (Paperback) by Jennifer Chiaverini.
I have not read all of the series (10 and counting), but enough to know that Chiaverini either quilts or does extensive research. She writes of quilt blocks that my eyes have never seen and I am no newcomer to quilting. Plus central characters continue from story to story, with new friends arriving at Elm Creek to learn quilting as the stories progress.

North Carolina readers can meet Chiaverini in Charlotte on May 8, 2008 when she will be hosted by Charlotte Quilter's Guild. See more about Jennifer at: elmcreek.net/index.phptte Check her out on amazon.com.

Thinking myself so advanced with a blog, I find new surprises daily.
Who knew that Carrboro's Thimble Pleasures has had a blog since last March...and no one told me. Julie's shop is so-o-o fantastic that you want to go there only when you have lots of time for 'color werking' fabric coordination. Shopping is like a class lab in color. See: thimblepleasures.blogspot.com

The list of OLLI's attending the upcoming Fall Retreat in Blowing Rock has been published and I am pleased to find several friends among the registrants. Hope for clear weather and lots of fall color in the mountains to inspire us throughout the winter season.

Speaking of coordination, I have fabric scraps to organize and a new pair of jeans to hem. Maybe I will have time to stop at Thimble Pleasures this afternoon.
bb

No comments: