Friday, August 9, 2013

What Friends Tell You

For months I have been receiving Bloglovin,' on recommendation of artist friend, Carol who knew my interest and experience with color. Every few days an E-mail with photos and color schemes arrives in my mailbox, I note some of the color combinations and delete the message. Little did I know, or investigate that Bloglovin' was a way to follow blogs with similar interests. Thanks to my friend Cissa who today asked me to "claim Bloglovin' " so she could follow my blog more easily. Follow my blog? Why not just type in the name and search?

Of course how many blogs have I lost track of because I forgot the name, or the blog moved and I forgot where or somethings just fly out of my orbit. Cissa just moved to another state and is trying to keep track of what's what and who's who in a whole new world. Asking me to link into the Bloglovin' lineup of blogs was like a hit on the head. What had I been thinking? While I admired Jessica, Bloglovin's creator, I had often wondered why such a site devoted to creating color schemes had become so popular(?). NOW I get it - the site is a place for blogs of many interests in fashion, art, design, fabrics etc., to post and gain followers. Who knew? Not me. 

So I claimed my blog on Bloglovin.'  Not that I expect many bloggers to get excited about my life BUT now that I understand the visual design focus, I will try to do better.

BETTER today meaning "Bra Making." You heard me, bra making. Being a 'full-figured' woman whose had it with new bras that fit for 2 wearings before the Lycra and elastic are shot - I am investigating the art of designing and making bras that fit and stay put. As whether to use old bras, new bras or drafting my own pattern has not yet been determined but if the ladies on TV's "Double Divas" can do it with their sewing machine my Bernina should be able to do the same.

This mission brought on by shopping at one of my favorite local thrift shops where quite unexpectedly I found two 'new' bras in my cup size. one my size, one a size larger.  The bras were unworn, in white and nude, just right EXCEPT those back closures with 3 hooks will never last. WHO thinks that a woman who wears a 36DD bra will hold it in place with 3 hooks? get real! I need at least 5 and some weighty Lycra that will not stretch out after one wearing. Considering the fact they cost $1.00 each, why not use the cups and remake the backs?

Found some wide sports elastic in my notion stash but need to do a shopping trip to find hooks, straps etc. Just where the best place to shop for bra fittings I do not know but the Internet has given me some ideas.  Here are just a few:

Bramaking Sew-Along Prep: Pattern Choices | Cloth Habit
Patternmaking tips for Bras
Intimately Yours Updates
The Bra Dilemma Solved - Threads
Image from" http://clothhabit.com/2012/11/bramaking-sew-along-prep-pattern-choices/ caption
Do not expect to see Bonnie's Bra Making Reality Show on TLC anytime soon; for now I am interested in utility, workhorse bras that hold and stay put. IF and when I find that formula it will be noted here first.
Stay tuned. . . . b

1 comment:

Cissa K said...

I will go to the site and follow you. Glad we can keep in touch.