Wednesday, August 14, 2013

PROGRESS IS NOT LINEAR

The title has often been said to me whenever frustration sets in. Today was major panic.

Tuesday's swim lesson went - well swimmingly.  I was doing a free launch to a float, better than I ever thought I could. Launching would be conquered; all that was left was landing, and of course breathing.

The last aquacise class ends at 9:45 a.m. on Wednesdays and I was there, ready to repeat yesterdays bold move.  First one did not work, second one I began to sink and panic. After that it was pretty much all recovery. After 20 minutes of re-starts I reached for the wide, bar-bell flotation and went back to the assisted floating I've been doing for nearly a month. Baby steps.
Three more lessons for August and I've got to get free of the flotation device. Soon.

Did you hear this morning's headline about a Detroit Police Department staffer who invertently revealed the bra sizes of all the female law enforcement officers listed to receive bullet-proof vests?  I nearly fell off the sofa laughing; not at the 'privacy goof' but at the fact last night's TV series "Double Divas" were constructing bullet-proof corsets (?) made of Kevlar. Apparently Kevlar fabric is the topic of the month.

From the web I found: brand names for the wonder fabric are Nomex, Kevlar and Carbon Fiber. Further searching revealed the following: 


Kevlar is a woven composite very similar to fiberglas in construction. It is very strong and flexible and it's 
main claim to fame is it's ability to absorb impact and not tear or puncture. It can be combined with a 
polymer resin and make a very strong product that doesn't rupture. It probably won't be overly difficult to 
sew. You'll probably need a jeans needle. It will also be abrasive and you might need special thread. 
Nomex is a synthetic fabric that is treated so it won't support combustion, usually it's white or cream colored 
and more available than kevlar. Mostly it's used in applications where there might be an open flame, mainly 
it's used by fire fighters, race car drivers, those type of applications. Carbon fiber is a woven composite but 
that is the only similarity it has with the other two. It actually fiberglas that has been combusted in an 
atmosphere with no oxygen and then the strands of what's left (carbon) are woven into a material much like 
fiberglas but much stronger and lighter. It is more brittle than either kevlar or fiberglas. It maintains it's 
structural rigidity when combined with a polymer plastic, and is used for any number of things. You see it 
mainly in high performance vehicles, cars, airplanes, and other things like that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009 01:09:02 PM by Cookn »
Read more: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=305100.0#ixzz2c072GROT  

And Wikipedia will give you the scientific details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevlar
Plus, get this, Kevlar is also used in Nike shoes, firefighter's coverings AND drum heads. Apparently it really is a wonder fabric, layers of it giving protection against bullet assaults. Not that I anticipate needing that kind of protection. 

Cynthia and Molly had other ideas. The recent episode of "Double Divas" found them making a holster-bra for a female bounty hunter; a corset-bra combo for a barrel-racing cowgirl AND a Kevlar corset for the needs of "law enforcement females" facing assaults. They actually took the corset out to the woods and shot it to prove it was really was bullet proof. It was.

Check it out at: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/double-divas

Why am I so fascinated at bullet-proof anything?  First item: the only reason my ex-husband is still living is that I didn't have a gun. Secondly, there have been times when skeet-shooting or going to a shooting range has been suggested. So far I have avoided guns at every turn - even living in NYC I felt carrying pistol would have caused more trouble than it might have prevented.  

Growing up in the midwest I realize most homes have guns and it's their right to do so; just not in my house. Too many tempers flaring - too risky. When the Canadians decide to cross the border, kick ass and take no prisoners, I'll be a goner because I am not defending my home with bullets. 
Let them eat carbon fiber. 
bbf




No comments: